When consumers are shopping for a pest control provider, they ask this question a lot! The proper response will give you an opportunity to win credibility and provide a teachable moment for existing or potential customers.
Ensure the inquiring party that you are concerned about their safety, but you must convey this information WITHOUT using the word “Safe”. No pesticide can be deemed completely safe, you can only guarantee the risks of the application will be minimal.
Your response can also serve as a reminder on why it’s important to hire a professional.
When a new pesticide active ingredient is submitted for EPA approval, the substance undergoes more than 120 tests. These tests are mostly related to health and environmental effects of the pesticide. From the time a new pesticide is first created to the time it reaches the marketplace is, on average, eight to ten years.
To ensure a pesticide has minimal risk to humans, researchers figure out the amount of chemical a human might be accidentally exposed to under a real-life scenario. They then take 100 to 10,000 that amount and test it on lab animals. Just stop and think about that. They test a chemical at 100 to 10,000 times the exposure rate that a human might be accidentally exposed to! If lab animals aren’t harmed at those extreme exposure rates, the pesticide is considered to be of little to no danger to humans or other mammals (if used properly).
Don’t Do This:
Do NOT compare the toxicity of your pesticides to that of table salt or water. It is a poor comparison. While salt and water are meant to be ingested, pesticides are manufactured to kill pests. If you must compare your products to something, compare them to consumer grade pesticides used on lawns, gardens or pets.
“While a certain amount of risk is involved in the use of anything, we hold your safety in the highest regard. Our products have been extensively tested and approved by the EPA and, when applied by a trained professional, will provide minimal risk to you and your loved ones (or children/pets).”
The Shortest Response Acceptable:
“When applied by a trained professional, our products are of minimal risk to you and your loved ones (or children/pets).”